Parent Governor Vacancies
We currently have vacancies for 2 Parent Governors. Governors serve a 4 year term and we are contacting you to invite expressions of interest.
The Governing Board comprises of:
1 Local Authority Representative Governors
5 Parent Governors
2 Staff Governors
5 Co-Opted Governors
Governors would be expected to attend Governing Board meetings at least once a term - and the responsibilities, working alongside the Headteacher, include:
- attend meetings regularly and contributing to discussions. Governing Boards must meet at least three times per year.
- help to establish the aims, policies and objectives of the nursery school, and how standards of education can be improved
- help to draw up the nursery school development plan
- setting the school budget and monitoring expenditure
- ensure that the national curriculum is implemented and hearing any complaints about its delivery
- appointing, promoting, supporting and disciplining school staff, and deciding their salaries
- act as a link between the local community and the nursery school
- producing an action plan after an OFSTED inspection and monitoring how the plan is put into practice
- considering cases of excluded pupils
- establishing a Performance Management Policy
- ensuring accountability
You do not have to be an expert on education to be a member of the Governing Board and we value the contribution that all members bring to the role. Nevertheless a key consideration in the appointment and election of all new governors should be the skills and experience the Governing Board needs to be effective. It is therefore important that all prospective governors for election or appointment understand the role of a governor.
Any specific skills or experience that would be desirable in a new governor, such as the willingness to learn or skills that would help the Governing Board improve its effectiveness and address any specific challenges it may be facing.
If you would like to be nominated as a Parent Governor please contact the school where nomination forms are available. In the event that there are more nominations than vacancies, it will be necessary to hold a ballot. Please note that the deadline for completed nomination forms to be returned to the school is the end of the school day on Friday 20th May 2022.
It should be noted that the appointment of a Parent Governor will be subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. The Council is responsible for processing these checks on school governors and candidates can be assured that all information is treated in absolute confidence.