Thorney Close Primary School

"Where Learning Blossoms..."









SEND Information

School SENDCO -  Mrs N. Leyland and Mrs S. Fishburn-Parkin

Parent information report 2017 – 2018 (Reviewed Annually)

Special Education Needs and Disabilities Local offer - Introduction

All Sunderland Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

 The broad areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction.

  • Cognition and Learning.

  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.

  • Sensory and/or Physical.

What is the Local Offer?

The LA Local Offer

The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this date Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25. The LA refer to this as the 'Local Offer'.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

Further information about the SEN local offer can be found by clicking here.

What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?

The Special Education Needs Information Report

Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report.


The 12 questions below provides further information about the Special Education Needs Information Report for Thorney Close Primary School.

Question 1

Who are the best people to talk to in school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

The class teacher is responsible for:

  • Teaching your child what they need to learn and identifying if your child needs different or additional support

  • Meeting with you at least once each term to discuss progress made and agreeing next steps

The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) – Mrs N. Leyland is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) and developing the school SEND policy.

  • Ensuring that you are

  • involved in supporting your child’s learning

  • kept informed about the support your child is getting

  • and involved in reviewing how they are doing

  • Updating the school’s SEND and Medical Needs register (a system for ensuring that all the additional needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.

  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

Co-ordinator for Deaf and Blind children – Mrs S. Fishburn-Parkin is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for Deaf and Blind children and developing the school SEND policy.

  • Teaching the Deaf children in the support centre or mainstream classroom to meet individual needs.

  • Overseeing the education of Blind children within school and from external agencies.

 Ensuring that you are

  • involved in supporting your child’s learning

  • kept informed about the support your child is getting

  • and involved in reviewing how they are doing

Question 2

What support can school offer us as parents/carers?

 Question 3

What do I do if I have spoken to the Class Teacher and the SENDCo/Co-ordinator for Deaf and Blind children and I still feel concerned?

  • You can arrange an appointment to see the Headteacher

  • If you still feel concerned you can speak to the SEND Governor

The Headteacher – Mrs Jones is responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.

  • The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo/Co-ordinator for Deaf and Blind children and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.

  • The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEND Governor – is responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has SEND.

Question 4

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

  • There are three different levels of support available depending on the severity of your child’s SEND needs. Most children’s learning needs will be met through adjustments in the classroom, some by additional teaching and a few with access to specialist support. 

Quality First Teaching

For your child this would mean:

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

  • All teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class and is making the best possible progress. This may involve things like using more practical learning, using computer software, having a peer buddy, a visual timetable, sensory breaks, home/school link book etc.

  • The teacher carefully checks on your child’s progress and may decide that your child has gaps in their learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Additional Teaching

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child receives intervention in the normal school day. An intervention is an additional programme that is delivered by a trained member of staff or outside agency which will help your child to make a better rate of progress.

  • SENDCo and Class Teacher decide which intervention best meets the needs of your child e.g. Language, Reading, Writing, Maths, Physical or Social/Emotional intervention. The range of interventions offered can be seen in our SEND policy.

  • Your child receives small group or individual teaching for an agreed time and frequency each week for a set number of weeks. The success of the intervention is reviewed and shared.

Specialist Support

For your child this would mean:

  • Extra specialist support in school from Specialist Teachers – Mrs Fishburn-Parkin (Specialist Teacher for Deaf ADEDC).

  • Specialist support from outside professionals e.g. Educational Psychologist or Speech and Language Therapist.

  • The specialist professionals will work with your child to further understand their needs and make recommendations for adjustments to school practice.

Question 5

How do you decide what extra support pupils receive?

  • The Class Teacher closely monitors the progress of children in their class. If your child is not making the expected rate of progress and/or is working below levels expected at their age then the following will happen each term:

  1. i) School leaders will meet to discuss all children and find the earliest opportunity to intervene

  2. ii) You can meet with your child’s Class Teacher/SENDCo to share your views

  • iii) We will speak to your child to get their views. This may not always be possible with very young children / children with delayed development.

  • iv) SENDCo will co-ordinate further assessments to be carried out on your child to gain a better understanding about their strengths and barriers to learning

  1. v) Headteacher and SENDCo will decide what resources are available to help your child make better progress and if any further training/support is needed for staff

  2. vi) SENDCo will monitor and review this support

Question 6

What if these levels of support have been provided and my child is still not making good progress?

  • If your child is receiving specialist support then they will be entitled to additional review meetings. You will be invited to attend these meetings that will happen at least yearly and can be made more frequent on your request. Professional services can be invited to these meetings so we can decide on the next steps we need to take.

  • School can submit a request to the LA for a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) which must be supported with good evidence. If the assessment is successful, a legal process will set out the type and amount of support that will be provided for your child.

  • If the LA does not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and set up a meeting to agree next steps.

For your child a Statement or EHCP would mean:

  • An agreed number of hours of individual/small group support will be provided. The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual/group interventions including your child or provide extra supervision.

  • Long and short term goals for your child are agreed and it will outline what strategies must be put in place to meet these targets.

  • A Medical and Care Plan will be written and adhered to within school as appropriate for the child.

  • Regular monitoring, advice and support by outside professionals

  • An Annual Review meeting will take place. Your views, your child’s views, Headteacher, Class Teacher and other professional’s views will be gathered and the outcomes of the meeting will be sent to the LA.

  • It may be appropriate for your child to access an alternative provision e.g. attending a school that specialises in Autism.

Question 7

How are school staff trained to teach children with SEND?

At the beginning of each year, a staff audit is carried out about their understanding of SEND issues and a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme is planned.

  • The SENDCo’s job is to support the Class Teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • Throughout the year, leaders, teachers and support staff will attend training courses delivered by the SENDCo or outside agencies, to develop their expertise when teaching and supervising children with specific needs.

Question 8

What Emotional and Social Development support can you provide for a child with SEND?

  • We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have Emotional and Social Development needs, that will require support in school.


Question 9

Who provides additional support for SEND children?

School Provision

  • Whole school staff

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service (AOT)

  • Educational Psychology Service (EPS)

  • Sensory Service for Visually Impaired (Blind) or Hearing Impaired (Deaf)

  • Parent Partnership Service

  • Behaviour Intervention Team (BIT)

  • Language and Learning Team

  • Attendance Officer

  • SEN Unit for Local Authority

Health Provision delivered in/out of school

  • Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) including Specialist Therapists for Deaf or Autistic

  • School Nurse

  • Occupational Therapy

  • Physiotherapy

  • Community Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHs)

  • Deaf CAMHs

  • Children and Young People Service (CYPS)

 Question 10

Is the school accessible for all children?

  • The building is accessible to pupils in a wheelchair. There is ramp access to the school building through Foundation Stage, Bottom Corridor and Top Corridor.

  • We have stair lifts and disabled toilets on both levels. The corridors are wide and enable blind children to be safe when moving around.

  • Staff and pupils across school, have access to teachers and support staff who have a British Sign Language qualification.

  • We ensure, where ever possible, that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

  • Extra curricular activities and school trips are accessible to all children including those with SEND, as appropriate to the individual’s needs.

Question 11

How will you support my child when they are leaving this school or moving on to another class?

  • We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. This means beginning the transition process when you feel it is right for your child.

  • We will work with you in the planning of the transition and seek the advice of other professionals as necessary. If you are aware of any specific triggers or strategies that may benefit the new class teacher then please share them with us. These will be included in your child’s records and shared with the new teacher/school.

  • Your child will be supported in preparing for the transition by having the opportunity to learn new routines and recognise familiar faces.

  • We will contact the school SENDCo/new Class Teacher and arrange a planning meeting to ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.

  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

Question 12

What clubs and activities are available in my local area for children with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities?

  • We are currently working to find out what is available…. so watch this space!

  • Please get in touch with Mrs Fishburn-Parkin if you would like to add any information for other parents/carers.

We will update this SEND Information Report annually, and any changes to the information occurring during the year will be updated as soon as possible.

Please click on the document below to read the Special Educational Needs Policy.

SEN Policy